I’m a Tasmanian writer of lyrical and often experimental stories. I like to call them Un-Australian.
My fiction has appeared in Island, Meanjin, Overland, Griffith Review, The Lifted Brow, The Canary Press, Westerly, Kill Your Darlings, Mascara Literary Review, The Review of Australian Fiction and many other magazines and journals. I was the recent runner-up in Overland’s Victoria University Short Story Prize for 2016, after being shortlisted in 2015.
My poems have been published in Southerly, Overland and Cordite.
I recently guest edited Overland’s special anti-dis-un-Australian fiction edition.
I published the craft/fiction collaborative anthology, I Sleep in Haysheds and Corners. It won Express Media’s Award for Best Project for Young People in Tasmania.
I edit The Picton Grange Quarterly Review. It has a print run of three copies, which circulate idiosyncratically on social media.
I’ve twice been shortlisted for the University of Tasmania Prize, the unpublished manuscript category of the Tasmanian Premiers’ Literary Prizes.
“It’s All Happening Here” in Overland.
“Days of Yielding” in Meanjin.
“What Fear Was” in Overland.
“The Bridge” in Griffith Review.
“Step and Then Step” in the Chart Collective’s Longer Lights Series.
“Mt Frederick” in Cordite Poetry Review.
What I’m Working On
- Completing a second novel manuscript, “The Bird Harvests”.
- Mountain lyrics – poems reflecting on the individually of Tasmanian peaks. Awarded 2016 Development Grant from Arts Tasmania to focus on kunanyi/Mt. Wellington
In the Past
- Artist in Residence at St. Michael’s Collegiate (2016), as part of the Australia Council funded AIR program.
- Guest editing The New Tasmanian Fiction for Communion Literary Journal in 2015.
- Runner up in the Jim Hamilton Award for an unpublished manuscript, as part of the FAW National Literary Awards 2014.
- Digital Writer in Residence for Writing Australia in 2014.
- Guest reader and panelist at the Emerging Writers Festival, the Tasmanian Writers’ Festival, the Beaconsfield Festival of Golden Words, the Tasmanian Poetry Festival and the National Young Writers’ Festival.
- Judge of the Small Press Network’s 2013 Most Underrated Book Awards.
- Collaboration with artists and photographers, including Katrin Koenning for the Dear Everybody Collective, and Richard Wastell for the Bett Gallery’s Poets and Painters Exhibition.
- Produced the book and literary installation, Below Tree Level, with Leigh Rigozzi, with Australia Council funding.
- Worked with high school students as part of The Red Room Company’s Papercuts Program.